Thursday, September 1, 2016

What is a Soul Purpose?

Our spirits are adventurous, courageous and curious - at least this is what I've seen over and over again in my past life regression work with clients. After we've explored the past life and gone through to the other side of death there is a part in the session where the life is being reviewed in Spirit. One of the questions we ask is: What was your soul's purpose for that life? 

The answers are often surprising and it becomes clear that each life is a part of a much bigger picture, like a jigsaw piece. So one life is only a small contribution to a soul's purpose that may take any number of lives to fully complete. 

If I look at my regression notes from sessions with clients this year I find the following soul purposes recorded:

To learn to let go of expectations, that you can't plan or control what is going to happen.

To grow in strength and confidence in who I want to be - to learn that if I don't love myself I can't love anyone else.

To experience the feeling of being alone even when surrounded by other people.

Selflessness - to sacrifice oneself to save another without thinking about it.

Responsibility - to take responsibility for one's choices and actions and the effect they have on others.

To experience separation from loved ones, the grief of being unable to protect ones family (this one was a contrast or karmic balance to the many lives spent as a soldier invading other places)

To learn to reach out for help when in need.

To learn to move through a mother's harsh judgement and not shut down in anger and bitterness, but to connect with the life spark within and find self-worth and self-love. 

Forgiveness

Being a pioneer to explore new land and find routes for others to follow.

To overcome extreme difficulties and fears to free myself from slavery and then go back and free others.

Marrying for wealth and position - the experience of pretending to love and the inner emptiness that results.

To learn death is not an ending and not to be afraid of it, that death is simply a revolving door where we come and go and cannot lose anyone, they are always there.
  
So we see that soul purposes are often quite different from ego ambitions which are focused on our culture's definition of success. At the moment, success is often defined as being very rich, very famous, or very powerful. 

Though I've guided hundreds of past life regressions, not one of those worldly ambitions has shown up as a soul purpose. The character in that life may be - or want to be - rich or beautiful, famous or powerful - but it seems that is just the structure for that life and the soul purpose is something deeper within those outer circumstances.

It is often the daily experience of life and our response to those experiences that is at the heart of our soul's purpose. We are growing the character of our soul and though we may be called on occasion to some heroic task, though there may be a time of crisis where we are tested, it is more often the small daily choices and actions that create the life and where we face the opportunities to fulfill our soul's purpose.

If I look at the themes of my own past lives (and I've explored over forty of them now) then I can identify the following soul challenges - all of which come up on a weekly if not daily basis:

To make my own choices and not let others control my decisions or actions.

To develop patience and keep going, to keep taking one step after another - even when I feel like I'm not getting anywhere.

To strengthen inner resolve by dealing with difficulties and obstacles and not give up too soon.

To move through difficult emotions and moods and not allow myself to be derailed by them - especially to channel anger into useful action.

To trust my intuition and my divine team - to connect more to my heart for guidance than my will.

Next week I'll look at how we can use the tarot to explore our Soul Purposes more deeply. For now though, why not take a few moments to consider your daily life and the things that come up over and over. See if you can re-frame these challenges as skills that your soul is immersed in learning.










No comments: